Date: August 12, 2018 (Worship Service)
Bible Text: James 1:2 and 2 Chronicles 14:2-12 | Pastor Scott LaPierre
Pastor Scott decided to preach this sermon the Sunday after WCC received the news a young mother in the congregation, Rachel Dye, was diagnosed with stage IV cancer. If you listen to this sermon, please be sure to pray for her! Thank you!
Prepared for Trials
Lesson 1: ____________ ____________ (Jam 1:2a; Acts 14:22; 1 Thes 3:3; 1 Pet 4:12-19; John 16:33).
Lesson 2: Trials are __________________________, but not accidents (Jam 1:2b; Rom 8:28; 1 Pet 1:6).
Lesson 3: A strong ____________________ is needed (Matt 7:24-27).
Lesson 4: Build during __________ of __________ (2 Chr 14:2-12).
Lesson 5: During the __________ ____________ “the Lord is [still] very compassionate and merciful” (Jam 5:11).
Family Worship Guide
Memory Verses: Jeremiah 29:11-14
- Why should it be encouraging to remember God is in control while you are in the middle of a trial?
- Have you been “building your walls” during times of peace? If yes, how? If not, how will you build in the future?
- What daily trials do you experience that you need to be aware of, because of their potential to wear you down?
- During trials, what characteristics of God can you focus on to help you better endure trials? Write down a verse (or two) to memorize that reveals this characteristic.
- Unbelievers and some genuine believers ask, “Why would a loving God ____?” How would you answer this question, considering 1 Peter 3:15 says we must “always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks [for] a reason for the hope that is in” us?
- When has God used a trial in your life to bring forth good? In other words, when have you been able to look back on a trial and see the end intended by the Lord?
Pray for the Gospel to Spread Among All Peoples (Matt. 9:37-38):
Those we directly support: Sarah Kane (Thailand)
An Unreached People Group: Tanaoli (Muslim, Pakistan)