Date: February 12, 2017
Bible Text: Luke 8:25 and Jonah 1:16-2:6 | Pastor Scott LaPierre
Series: The Gospel of Luke
Luke 8:25 and Jonah 1:16-2:6 – The Christ in Jonah – Part III
Note: Lesson 1 and Lesson 2, Parts I-VI are from the previous sermons.
Lesson 1: The Old Testament is about Jesus (Heb 10:1, 7; Col 2:16-17; Matt 12:39).
Lesson 2: Jesus and Jonah:
- (Part I) Left Jewish territory for Gentile territory (Jonah 1:1-2 cf. Luke 8:22).
- (Part II) Experienced a terrible storm (Jonah 1:3-4 cf. Luke 8:23b).
- (Part III) Slept during the storm (Jonah 1:5 cf. Luke 8:23a).
- (Part IV) Were woken by sailors (Jonah 1:6, Luke 8:24a).
- (Part V) Were willing to lay down their lives for others (Jonah 1:14 cf. John 10:15-18).
- (Part VI) Calmed the storm (Jonah 1:15 cf. Luke 8:24b).
- (Part VII) Were with men who came to ________ the ________ (Jonah 1:16 cf. Luke 8:25; Psa 65:7, 89:9, 107:29).
- (Part VIII) ________ “____________ for three days and three nights” (1 Cor 15:4 cf. Jonah 1:17, 2:1-2, 6; John 20:17; Matt 12:40; Heb 2:17; Luke 16:26; 1 Sam 28:13; Acts 2:22-27).
Lesson 3: Jesus sits on the throne as your __________ OR ________ ____________.
Family Worship Guide
Memory Verses: Psalm 103:8-10
Day 1: Read Luke 8:22-25, & Jonah 1 and discuss: Why did the disciples need to be rebuked? What had Jesus said would happen (that they should have remembered and counseled themselves with)? Think back to the last time you were in a trial. Consider your words, actions, and reactions; what did they reveal about your faith and trust in God’s Word?
Day 2: Read Matt. 12:39-40, Jonah 1-2, & Luke 16:19-31 and discuss: Is Jonah dead or alive? What words or phrases are used that lead you to think he is actually dead? Where did Jesus go after he died and before he was resurrected? What is Sheol? Who is there?
Day 3: Read Luke 8:22-25 & Jonah 1-2 and discuss: What words and phrases does Jonah use to describe his “burial”; how does this point forward to Christ? What happens to Sheol/Hades? Who will appear before Jesus the Judge, on his great white throne?