Date: December 23, 2018 (Sunday School)
Bible Text: Matt. 1:1-17 | Pastor Doug Connell
Christmas Sunday, December 23, 2018
Summary Main Idea: By tracing Jesus’ lineage through Israel’s history, Matthew emphasizes that Jesus really is the Messiah: the Anointed One, sent by God, to save his people from their sins.
- Expanded Main Idea: By tracing Jesus’ lineage through heroic figures in Israel’s history, as well as reminding his audience of their own ancestry - full of sinners, just like everyone else’s family tree - Matthew emphasizes that Jesus really is the Messiah: the Anointed One, sent by God, to save his people - all types of people, from all over the world - from their sins.
Introduction: Many people throughout Jesus’ earthly ministry asked the simple question, “Who is this?”
Matthew 1:1 “The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
- Matthew 1:1: “The book of the genealogy”
- Matthew 1:1: “of Jesus Christ”
- Matthew 1:1: “the son of David”
- Matthew 1:1: “the son of Abraham”
- Matthew 1:3 and Judah the father of Perez and Zerah by Tamar,
- Matthew 1:5: and Salmon the father of Boaz by Rahab,
- Matt. 1:5 and Boaz the father of Obed by Ruth,
- Matt: 1:5and Obed the father of Jesse, 6 and Jesse the father of David
- Matthew 1:6: “And David was the father of Solomon by the wife of Uriah,”